- Technology Bulletin: 2016 MIS Survey (06/2016)
- 2013-14 Yearly Economic Forecast: Charting a Path
- Augmented Reality [PDF]
- Automated Quality Control: Vision Inspection Systems in Print
- Direct-to-Garment Printing: Can it Fit for You? [PDF]
- Federal Solvent-Contaminated Wipe Rule Provides Regulatory Relief [PDF]
- Game-Changers for the Printing Industry [PDF]
- Human Resources: 10 Inspiring Ways to Reward Employees in 2014
- Industry Briefing: Competing in Print’s Dynamic Marketspace in 2015
- Is "Do Not Track" Good of Bad for PSP's? [PDF]
- Is Social Media Useful for Marketers? [PDF]
- Overwhelming Trends Facing Book Markets [PDF]
- PrintAS Cost Calculator
- Printing in 3D [PDF]
- Seven Minute Solutions: Prepare for Value Analysis
- Technology Bulletin: 2014 Mailing Software Survey
- White Page: Utilizing NFC in Graphic Communication
- 8 Steps to Designing a Winning Sales Process [PDF]
- Analysis of the Wide-Format Workflow Market [PDF]
- Best Business Practice Guidelines for Terms and Conditions of Sale [PDF]
- Economic Flash Report Archives
- Google Search Management and QR Codes [PDF]
- HR Resources
- HR Update (Monthly Newsletter)
- Job Descriptions
- Print Market Updates
- Quarterly HR Metric Results
- The Value of Print
- Yearly Economic Forecasts
- EHS Regulatory Compliance
- Hazard Communication Guidance for Printing Operations
- Green and Sustainability
- Safety Poster—General Equipment Safety Practices
- Safety Poster—Reduce Combustible Dust Hazards
- Safety Poster—Safe Operation of Powered Industrial Trucks
- Safety Poster—Get to Know SDS
- Safety Poster—Globally Harmonized System of Classification (GHS) Pictograms Quick Reference
- Safety Poster—Globally Harmonized System of Classification (GHS) Label Guide
- Safety Poster—What to Wear Vs. What NOT to Wear (Women)
- Safety Poster—What to Wear Vs. What NOT to Wear (Men)
- Calibration and Profiling for Soft Proofing [PDF]
- Color Correction in Photoshop: A Step-by-Step Guide to Great Images [PDF]
- Color Management and Rendering Intents [PDF]
- Designing for Digital: 5 Don’ts for Creatives [PDF]
- Digital Printing of Laminates: Opportunities for Color Production Inkjet Solutions [PDF]
- Gradients and Banding [PDF]
- In-Plants: Making the Cross-Media Connection [PDF]
- Inkjet: Production Inkjet
- Inkjet: Wide-format Inkjet
- Image Recognition- Evolution via Integration [PDF]
- Investigational Reports
- Live Preflight with InDesign [PDF]
- Preflight for Success: A Guide for Designers and Printers [PDF]
- Printing Consistent Color: Separations That Are Easy to Control on Press [PDF]
- Research and Technology Reports
- RGB or CMYK for Digital: Which is Best? [PDF]
- RGB Color Correction Tips [PDF]
- Technology Articles
- Technology Bulletins [PDF]
- Toner and Large Solids [PDF]
- Transparency and Fonts [PDF]
- Unsharp Mask Tips and Tricks [PDF]
- Vendor Profiles of Cloud-Based Workflows & Infrastructures for Graphic Communications [PDF]
- When Not to Use a Font [PDF]
- Wide Format Goes Cross-Media [PDF]
- Wide-Format Print Signage vs. Digital Signage Display [PDF]
- White Papers and Primers
- Augmented Reality Part 1—Installing AR Software
This video explains how to download and install the augmented reality software applications.
- Augmented Reality Part 2—3-D Basics
In this video, you’ll learn how to use some basic tools to create and navigate around a 3-D object.
- Augmented Reality Part 3—Creating a 3-D Object
In this video, you’ll learn how to trace a 2-D object and turn it into a 3-D object for the AR application.
- Augmented Reality Part 4—Previewing an AR Application
This video covers how to preview a 3-D object as an AR application.
- Augmented Reality Part 5—Creating an AR Application
In this video, you’ll learn all about the final parts that are required to create a finished AR application.
- Augmented Reality Part 6—AR Resources
This video discusses some great resources for learning even more about augmented reality.
Color Correction in Photoshop
- Color Correction in Photoshop Part 1—Setting up the Photoshop Workspace
This video explains how set up Photoshop properly for image color correction.
- Color Correction in Photoshop 2—Understanding Photoshop Color Settings
In this video, you’ll learn how what the Photoshop Color Settings are all about and how they affect image color correction.
- Color Correction in Photoshop Part 3—Setting up the Curves Tool
In this video, you’ll learn how to set up the Curves tool for image color correction.
- Color Correction in Photoshop Part 4—Correcting Highlight, Shadow, and Gray Balance
This video covers how to use the Curves tool to set the highlight, shadow, and gray balance within an image.
- Color Correction in Photoshop 5—Selective Color Correction
In this video, you’ll learn how to use the Selective Color to adjust specific colors in an image.
- Color Correction in Photoshop Part 6—Unsharp Mask
This video covers how to use UnSharp Mask to sharpen and enhance detail in an image.
Mobile Web Development
- Previewing Mobile Websites in Safari
When developing mobile websites, you can use the Safari Browser website to preview what the website will look like on various Apple devices. In this video, Joe Marin shows you how.
- Previewing Mobile Websites in Firefox
Firefox has a nifty little plug-in called User Agent Switcher that allows you to impersonate any one of dozens of mobile devices—a handy tool when developing websites for mobile.
QR Code Creation and Tracking
- Creating and Tracking QR Codes with Google Url Shortener
In this short video, Joe Marin discusses how to create and track QR codes using the free Url Shortener service from Google.
- Creating and Tracking QR Codes using the Microsoft Tag Service
You've probably seen the Microsoft Tag included in printed material. But, did you know you could create and track QR codes using the free Microsoft Tag service? In this video, Joe Marin explains exactly how to do it!
- Customizing QR Codes
A QR code is an amazing technology, but they certainly aren’t the prettiest things to look at. In this video, learn how to turn QR codes into high-resolution graphics so that they can be customized by adding design elements.
- 2015 Wide Format Forecast
This is an executive summary of an annual review of the global market for digital Wide Format Graphics (WFG) printing, also called Display Graphics (DG), based on vendor sales data from the preceding calendar year (2014).
- B-2 Cut-Sheet Digital Printers
The first generation of B-2 cut-sheet digital production printers have been installed, and a new report by I.T. Strategies investigates who is buying these machines and what they are printing with them. This report is available for free to all Printing Industries of America members.
- Mobile-Optimized Websites: A Primer for Printers
QR codes—along with the right mobile experience—is another tool that can be offered to marketers as part of an integrated print solution. In this white paper, you'll learn how to get started with building mobile-optimized websites.
- Augmented Reality—Extending the Value of Print
Updated for 2013! This white paper by author Joe Marin provides an overview of augmented reality technologies and highlights their relevance to print. New information includes an updated tutorial and additional resources.
- Your Website: Keep It or Start Over?
This white paper will help you understand—without all of the technical jargon—how to assess, modify, and enhance your own website so that you're practicing everything that you preach!
- SGIA 2012 Las Vegas
The SGIA show remains remains a go-to event for the digital wide format and specialty printing community. The following report by I.T. Strategies contains the latest review of products, companies, and their contextual analysis from this year's SGIA Expo.
- VDP Costing and Pricing: The Fundamentals
In this white paper author Joe Marin explains the fundamental aspects of VDP costing and pricing and explains difference between estimating and pricing static printing versus VDP.
- Social Media Investigations of Top Vertical Markets
This report compiles information related to how different vertical markets use social media.
- QR Codes: A Primer for Printers
This white paper is a short primer for printers interested in extending the value of the printed page while providing more interactive, engaging information for the customer through the use of QR codes.
- Digital Printing and Survivability in the U.S. Postal System
In this white paper author Joe Marin analyzes the results of a research study showing how various digital printing solutions and substrates ared from a variety of mailing locations and distances.
- Charting a Path for 2013 and 2014: Executive Summary
In this Flash we offer our last 2012 update for the economy and print markets in 2013–2014. We also provide a new perspective on the print market space from Printing Industries of America’s latest Print Market Atlas.
- Checking Your Expense and Productivity Metrics
In this Flash we take a deeper look at the findings from the 2012 Ratios by examining some expense and productivity metrics.
- Political Economy 2012: Post Election Scenarios
In this Flash we paint three distinct possible stereotypical economic and print market consequences that may or may not materialize after the election. Note that these are not forecasts but rather are simulations to be used for scenario analysis when testing various strategies.
- September 2012 Flash Report: Printing Industry Reports a 1.8% Profit
In this Flash we give an overview of the 2012 Ratios, which present information on the 2011 fiscal year for graphic arts companies
- Downgrading the Recovery and Updating Print Markets
In this Flash we (once again) downgrade the economic recovery and update the recent track of print markets.
- U.S. Printing Plants: Equilibrium Ahead?
In this Flash we update our view on the future direction of the number and size distribution of U.S. printing plants by starting with the question “will the number of U.S. printing plants stabilize in the next decade and, if so, what will be the impact on firms’ size, market focus, profitability, and family run firms?”
- Updating Print's 2011 Economic Footprint and Outlook for 2012 & 2013
In this Flash we take a look back at 2011 to update print’s economic footprint and offer our outlook for the economy and print markets for the remainder of 2012 and 2013.
- Up, Down, and Sideways: Profiling Business Cycles in the Economy and Print
In this Flash we examine cyclical patterns in the economy and print and place the industry’s recent problems in perspective.
- Print's Financial Performance: Overview of 2011 Ratios Survey Results
In this Flash we review the results from the 2011 Ratios survey. We will analyze overall industry profitability, profit by size of firm, trends in major cost items, productivity trends, and profit (losses) by product specialty.
- Updating Print Market Trends and Examining Competing Print Outlooks
In this Flash we update current print market trends and explain the big difference between our long-term forecast for print markets and a competing forecast.
- Tracking a Stalled Recovery
The economy remains on edge with the outlook bouncing between three scenarios, bad direction-slow growth, no growth, or decline. This Flash offers our perspective on the current economy and print markets and also provides an examination of the contrasting trends for digital and conventional printing.
- The Latest Economic and Print Market Flash Report
In this Flash we once again turn our attention to the longer term future of print and print markets. Our purpose is not to provide a specific forecast of the future but rather is offered as educated speculation on a likely path of print's future environment.
- Updated Outlook and Review of Print Market Trends
This Flash report presents our updated economic and print market outlook and provides additional analysis of current print market trends.
Check out some inspiring success stories from Printing Industries of America member companies. Unless noted with an asterisk (*) all Member Spotlight Case Studies orignally appeared in Printing Industries of America: The Magazine.