Job Summary: Prepare customer supplied electronic files for output using software on the Macintosh and Windows OS platforms. Maintain equipment within the department.
Report To: Prepress Supervisor
Lean Expectations (Each employment anniversary year):
- Participate in at least two hours of educational experience (s) such as job shadowing, technical skills training, cross training, webinars, seminars, Lean networking tours, etc.
- Implement at least one improvement idea.
- Read workorder as well as all notes and instructions (customer notes, digital paperwork, etc.).
- Check document size and margins.
- Check document colors (process or spot). Fix any unused or extra colors in document.
- Check and extend bleed allowances as necessary.
- Verify that fonts are working properly/troubleshoot when necessary.
- Verify that graphics and images process correctly/troubleshoot when necessary.
- Make necessary adjustments in order for the document to refine/RIP correctly.
- Save pages as PDF or Encapsulated PostScript for the intended workflow.
- Process files through Prinergy or Rampage. Adjust trap as needed.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of files that error throughout the workflow.
- Work directly with CSR, Preflight, Job Planner etc. to resolve issues/problems.
- Maintain all equipment related to department
- Follow all required safety procedures such as: PPE's, Ergonomics, Chemical Hazards, etc. Perform job in a manner that protects the health and safety of all employees. See safety manual for additional safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of the Macintosh and Windows operating systems.
- Working knowledge of the following software:
- Adobe Acrobat
- Adobe Acrobat Distiller
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe PageMaker
- Adobe Photoshop
- Enfocus PitStop
- Extensis Suitcase
- Internet Explorer web browser
- Markzware FlightCheck
- MS Excel
- MS Publisher
- MS Word
- OneVision Asura
- OneVision Speedflow Check
- OneVision Speedflow Edit
- Prinergy InSite
- Rampage Remote
- Safari web browser
- Working knowledge of font handling and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of digital workflow and trapping.
- Working knowledge of bindery and press specifications and mail specifications (drill allowance, margins, bleeds etc.).
- Working knowledge of PDF creation.
- Understanding of printing process.
- Check accuracy of covalent sheet daily.
- Attend Prepress CI meetings.
- Maintain digital paperwork.
- Identify when pre/post proof alterations estimate forms are necessary.
- Review web/sheet stripping report and prepress schedule daily for job priority.
- Utilize error log books for all equipment.
Management of Personnel Responsibilities: Not applicable
- General sweeping and cleaning of respective work area and department.
- Perform/maintain prepress 5S duties.
- Perform other duties as directed.
- Working knowledge of Macintosh and Windows operating systems
- Familiarity of page layout, image manipulation, drawing and PDF handling software.
- Previous experience or education in Graphic Arts.
- Demonstrate good attention to detail.
- Demonstrate good judgement regarding positioning requirements.
- Demonstrate troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Strong mathematical skills.
- Be able to read a ruler and convert fractions to decimals.
- Work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to understand new concepts.
- Work overtime as needed.