By viewing this job description, you acknowledge that Printing Industries of America assumes no liability for the accuracy of information as it was submitted by various members of the association. The following is provided for "informational purposes only" so that your company may develop its own customized job descriptions. Companies viewing the following agree that they will customize their own job descriptions to meet production demands, operational procedures, recruiting criteria, performance criteria, and any required legal compliance.
Job Title: Customer Service Representative
Dept.: Sales & Marketing
Date: April 2002
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING STRUCTURE: Under the direction of the Customer Service Manager, the Customer Service Representative serves as the primary contact for external and internal customers, is responsible for making judgements and discretionary decisions that effect the operations of the organization and effectively communicates those judgements and decisions to the customer. The Customer Service Representative is also responsible for appropriately communicating customer requirements to the manufacturing team, in accordance with company policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Receive all questions and concerns from external and internal customers. Provide solutions to problems.
- Receive, sort and prepare a checklist for all customer materials. Determine date of availability for any missing materials.
- Generate quotes and break out fixed and variable costs. Review and edit quotes to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure customer supplied components are available on time to meet assembly schedule.
- Generate purchase orders for customer supplied components and as required.
- Attend scheduling meetings and communicate with co-workers the status of jobs, any unique circumstances relating to jobs, etc.
- Prepare shipping papers.
- Serve as a back-up to other CSRs.
- Check samples to ensure accurate final product. Request any necessary changes.
- Send proofs to customers and receive them upon return.
- Maintain or reduce costs associated with assigned accounts.
- Maintain or increase sales revenues for assigned accounts by providing and ensuring exceptional service.
- Approve invoices and customer allowances.
- Provide samples to customers.
- Complete and maintain all required paperwork, records, documents, etc.
- Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Attend engineering meetings as required.
- Meet with customers off-site as required.
- Press approvals.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform the essential duties of this job satisfactorily, an individual must have knowledge of the 4/color printing process. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Requires a bachelors degree.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as estimates, accounting ledgers and journals, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with agents, customers and other employees of the organization. Requires excellent telephone and interpersonal skills.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, i.e. gross profit, sales markup, etc.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to use abstract reasoning subject to supervisor approval in situations departing from accepted procedures and practices.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Requires the ability to operate a wide variety of standard office equipment, such as a computer and keyboard, a calculator, telephone, FAX, photocopier, etc.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Job related travel is occasionally required.