A Stitcher Operator is primarily responsible for set-up, running, & teardown of the saddle stitch machine, while meeting guidelines set by Estimating and Project Management for specific projects. Additional cross training will be provided so that they can operate other bindery machinery as needed.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Reports to Bindery Manager any concerns to ensure that both technical and workflow issues are addressed and optimized.
2) Able to trouble-shoot and problem solve on difficult projects.
3) Ensures that saddle-stitching equipment is optimized and operating within required standards in terms of process controls, planned maintenance schedules, make ready and running standards.
4) Able to read and interpret information from the bindery paperwork: planning sheet, layouts, Digital Dylux & e-ticket.
5) Achieves competency and meets standards in regards to make-ready and run times as established by the company.
6) Communicates with Bindery Manager on validity of standards and expectations from the project plan.
7) Aids in the development and use of Quality Controls and Process Controls as required by their Team Lead or Manager.
8) Able to produce work following Quality Controls and Process Controls, to produce high quality work in the allotted timeframes.
9) Responsibly and accurately records productivity & performance for evaluation against expectations of the plan.
10) Responsible to coach, train, and direct any General Workers, Apprentice Bindery employees, and temporary labor in executing tasks when they are assisting on the stitching equipment.
11) Operates other bindery equipment when necessary to maintain the flexibility of the bindery department.
12) Recommends equipment repairs, parts and supplies as needed.
13) Coordinates pass-off of information between adjacent shifts, with the goal of minimizing downtime and increasing productivity through information sharing.
14) Informs Leads or Bindery Manager of any immediate concerns related to the successful operation of the department.
15) Adheres to company policies and procedures, and abides by safety regulations.
16) Contributes/attends regular production / project specific meetings when required.
17) Participates in specific continuous improvement initiatives.
18) Ensures that their work area and the rest of the bindery remain clean and tidy.
· Infrequent reaching, bending and stooping.
· Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
· Frequent standing.
· Ability to visually inspect all work for defects.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
· Basic bindery knowledge and skills to operate bindery machinery, specifically the saddle stitcher.
· Relevant equipment experience & training.
· Technical and interpersonal skills.
· Knowledge of applicable bindery procedures.
· Knowledge of general maintenance procedures.
· Ability to develop new techniques for handling work.
· Ability to anticipate problems and head them off.
· Ability to communicate/understand written as well as oral instructions
· Basic Math including fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
· Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
· Demonstrate positive safety attitude.
· Knowledge of production materials.
· Knowledge of quality methods and techniques.
Supervisor Signature Employee Signature