While working under the general direction of the Bindery Department Shift Supervisor or the person in charge, the Saddle Stitch Operator performs any and all work described under job descriptions for Bindery Assistants and Bindery Set-up Operators I, II, and III. With minimal supervision, the Saddle Stitch Operator prepares and operates all components of the Saddle-stitch line in order to produce products meeting the quality and quantity limits established. The Saddle Stitch Operator performs, but is not limited to, all of the tasks included in the above stated positions. The Saddle Stitch Operator also is responsible for assisting senior operators with leadership, team work, and problem solving in the Bindery Department.
· Reviewing the schedule board for the next job assigned to the machine or line of equipment being worked on.
· Acquiring the job folder and reviewing it for specifications or special instructions that may impact the operation or setting up of the machine or line of equipment.
· Following routine procedures in the setting-up and in the operation of the machine or line of equipment.
· Reviewing the quality of the product continuously to meet requirements.
· Maintaining the required records with quantities or any other information that may be helpful or required.
· Learning to become a more skilled operator and in becoming more familiar with all of the equipment through the maintenance and repairing of such equipment in the immediate area.
· Assisting in the training of lesser skilled workers.
· Inspecting products, deciding to accept or reject the products in order to maintain the quality level required.
· Performing daily, as well as periodic, maintenance on all of the In-line equipment, and assisting in the repairing and/or the rebuilding of the equipment when called upon.
· Maintaining quality and production records in a prescribed manner to provide useful information on the given job.
· Reporting unusual conditions or circumstances to the supervisor or the person in charge.
· Working on job assignments in other manufacturing areas as instructed.
Comfort Performing Tedious Tasks-Able to perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time.
Attendance- Works with supervisor to try to make schedule work and help cover difficult times. Shows up on time when scheduled.
Conscientiousness-Strictly adheres to all company policies and procedures, complies with safety regulations
Achievement Orientation- Strives to be successful at tasks and to meet or exceed goals. Accepts targets and goals, and makes certain they are met
Cooperativeness – Willing to take direction from supervisors and, when appropriate, go along with coworkers’ ways of doing things. Willing to follow rules.
Communication Skills- Has the ability to clearly convey directions, information and/or feedback both verbally and in writing
Follows Directions-Is able to easily understand instructions and complete tasks with minimal supervision
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Sufficient experience in the book printing industry
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
On The Job Training Requirements
Department orientation/New Hire Temp Training
Perform Mathematical Computations
Use Measurement Devices
Physical Abilities Lift /Carry
Stand C (Constantly) 10 lbs or less O (Occasionally)
Walk O (Occasionally) 11-20 lbs C (Constantly)
Sit N (Not Applicable) 21-50 lbs F (Frequently)
Handling / Fingering C (Constantly) 51-100 lbs O (Occasionally)
Reach Outward F (Frequently) Over 100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Reach Above Shoulder N (Not Applicable)
Climb N (Not Applicable)
Crawl N (Not Applicable)
Squat or Kneel F (Frequently)
Bend F (Frequently)
Push / Pull
12 lbs or less C (Constantly)
13-25 lbs O (Occasionally)
26-40 lbs O (Occasionally)
41-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception)
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Safety Glasses, Gloves, Hearing Protection)
While performing Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this job, the employee regularly works near moving equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Employees in this position may be advised or required to utilize personal protective equipment including but not limited to: ear protection, eye protection, lifting equipment, protective smocks.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.