Tend paper cutting machine that cuts the edges of unbound books, magazines, and catalogs to a specified size.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Positions guide to trimhead (top), foot (bottom), and face (front) edges of the product to the specified size.
- Ascertain that all safety switches and guards are in place then start machine.
- Jog books to assure proper alignment and place against guides of infeed. Depress treadle to activate clamp and knife operation.
- Stack books as they are trimmed.
- Properly log production on forms provided and fill out load tags. Remove completed loads to staging area for shipment.
- Lubricate machine per manufacturers requirements and change knives as needed.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, WORKING CONDITIONS
- Stand/walk 95% of the time.
- Manufacturing environment: exposed to noise of varying levels (hearing protection provided).
- Must be able to bend, twist and jog signatures, pamphlets, and finished books weighing 12 -15 lbs.
- Must be able to read and understand Job Jackets and other pertinent instructions. Ability to follow verbal instructions.
- Lead and instruct crew members in the operation.
- Must have good finger and manual dexterity. Requires extensive bending and twisting movement.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Must have good mechanical ability and understanding.
- Reports to the Bindery Supervisor.
- Supervises crew members.
- Internal contacts include other operators, Bindery Helpers, Bindery Supervisor, Bindery Superintendent, and Customer Service personnel.
Published on Thursday, July 31, 2008 (updated 05/27/2014)