JOB TITLE: First Press Operator – Sheetfed
POSITION REPORTS TO: Shift Supervisor
Directs the crew and perform manual and machine operator tasks related to the set-up, maintenance and operations of the press, Responsible for the quantitative and qualitative press performance.
- Makes ready and operates offset printing press
- Examines job order to determine quantity to be Printed, stock specifications, colors and special printing instructions
- Examines offset printing plate for visual defects and applies correcting solution to repair minor defects or informs supervisor of unrepairable plates
- Applies packing sheet to blanket cylinder to build up blanket thickness to diameter of plate cylinder
- Measures paper thickness and adjusts space between blanket and impression cylinders according to thickness of paper stock
- Adjusts controls to regulate flow of ink and dampening solution to plate cylinder
- Starts press, examines printed copy for ink density, position on paper and registration and makes adjustments to press throughout production run to maintain specific registration and color density
- Makes adjustments to feeder and delivery mechanism
- Removes and replaces worn rollers and adjusts pressure between rollers of press, using hand tools
- Leads, gives directions to, trains, and monitors work of press crew
- Performs job duties in accordance with company safety rules
- Performs proper and required maintenance as well as cleaning of press.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 5-7 years Second Pressman experience;
- In depth knowledge of the mechanics and capabilities of press;
- Able to accurately distinguish color variation;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Requires experience running, troubleshooting and quality control.
- Ability to understand written instructions and set-up the press and carry out instructions;
- Frequent lifting, bending and turning.
Verification of Receipt of this Information
Your signature is required stating that you have read and understand all the responsibilities of this/your position/job description.
Employee Signature Date
Cc: Employee file